Stay the course and finish well.
Mission: To equip and engage a growing number of seasoned ministry leaders for intentional mentoring relationships with other less experienced persons in ministry, so they will be enabled to stay the course and finish well.
Context: An unhealthy blend of high performance expectation and limited experience can result in the average pastor or ministry leader feeling frustrated and anxious. Inadequate attention to the inner life of the soul has caused many to succumb to temptation and exhaustion. Having a seasoned colleague to walk with through the varied seasons of ministry life and encourage disciplined soul care, can mean all the difference between veering off course onto rocky shoals or finishing well at harbor’s end.
Call: Mentoring has been part of my pastoral ministry for over 30 years. For 14 of those years I was blessed to have Rev. Dr. Robert “Bob” Frederich as my mentor while he served through Vision New England. As well as sharing our common love for Jesus Christ, we also shared our common love for His Kingdom work, and especially for those who labored there in pastoral leadership. Consequently, I too served in this capacity with Vision New England for several years while Senior Pastor at First Baptist Church of Yarmouth, Maine. Now after leaving my pastorate of 25 years in Yarmouth, I am wholeheartedly committed and free to pass on to others what I received – in particular – to train pastors and ministry leaders how to partner with and pass on what they have gleaned from ministry life. “How’s your soul?” is the most important question to be honestly asked and truthfully answered. My call to MAST Mentorship is to do just that; ask and listen.
A righteous man lives for the next generation. Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Mentoring – sharing life experiences and wisdom as guidance for ministry leadership.
Advocating – building bridges of understanding between ministry leaders and their boards as a means of facilitating strong support.
Soul Care – encouraging attention to the character and condition of the whole person for ministry over the long haul.
Training – networking for further equipping and enrichment of mentoring relationships among ministry leaders.
And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2
STATEMENT OF FAITH
We believe in:
– One God of three equal persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
– Jesus Christ, the Son; His substitutionary death on the cross for all sins, His bodily resurrection and imminent return.
– Salvation by grace alone, through faith alone in Jesus Christ as personal Savior and Lord.
– The Bible as the inspired, infallible Word of God and final authority in matters of faith and practice.
– The Church as the Body of Christ, comprised of called, regenerate and spiritually gifted members, of which Jesus is Head.
– The Way of Discipleship in Jesus Christ as seeking to keep the Great Commandment under the call to the Great Commission and, in so doing, both be and make disciples.